Youth Group Service-Learning Trip 2015
Navajo Nation – Arizona
Registration and $700 Deposit Due: Sunday, October 5th
Final Payment $700 Due: Sunday, November 23rd
Flight: Departs Saturday, February 14th at 5pm
Returns Sunday, February 22nd at 11:30am
The Youth Group (grades 10-12) will take part in a Service-Learning Trip over Presidents’ week, February 2015. Participants will have the opportunity to learn about Navajo life and culture, work on a community-led service project, and explore the natural beauty of the area. As volunteers, we’ll provide community-driven service, meaning that the Navajo community defines a priority project and our group will work with them on it. Volunteers often help improve school or community facilities (construction or painting and cleaning) and help out at the local food bank. Past projects have also included helping to build a sweat lodge and putting on a 10K race. The Navajo hosts put a high priority on volunteers learning about Navajo life and culture and sharing this knowledge with their home community so that their way of life is better understood. To this end our group will have the chance to participate in cultural and recreational activities. These activities might include visiting an open air market, a sweat lodge, cultural museums, mesa hikes, visiting nearby national landmarks like the Grand Canyon, learning from local Navajo families about land use, jewelry making, story telling and sampling traditional foods. The group will stay in traditional Hogans, which will be set up as bunk-houses (16 people in each). There is large gathering space available for the group to use in the evening, as well as showers and bathrooms. For additional information, please refer to the Amizade handbook.
- Participants must be active members of Youth Group. Attendance and full participation in the life of our community ensures that we have a cohesive group on the trip.
- Register for Youth Group 2014-15
- Uphold the Youth Group covenant
- Actively participate in 70% of Youth Group meetings (12 out of 17 before trip)
- Attend 2 educational events to learn about the Navajo Nation
- Participate in the wider church community in some way
- Participants must contribute to the Youth Group’s fundraising efforts. Funds raised will go toward scholarships funds, as well as to defray the cost for all participants.
- Participate in 3 fundraising events
- Raise at least $250
- Complete the following online forms (Due October 5)
- Print and complete the following paper forms (Due October 5)
- The cost of the trip is $1400 per person. This fee includes the full trip itinerary of cultural excursions and volunteer placements, food and lodging, flight, ground transportation and chaperones.
- $700 deposit is due October 5th. Final payment is due November 23rd. Checks can be made out to “The First Church in Belmont, UU” with “YG Service Trip” in the memo line.
- Some partial scholarships of up to $500 are available. An alternative payment schedule is also possible. Please talk to Julie by September 7th if you’d like more information about these options. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.