Music Programs for Adults
There are two active adult choirs at First Church. During worship services, the choirs lend a spiritual and emotional backdrop to the spoken word. The choirs also engender a sense of community and spirituality among participants both within and outside of worship services and other First Church events.
For more information or to become involved in a choir, please contact Ian Garvie at email@example.com or call 617-484-1054 Ext. 206
- An auditioned choir of 40 voices with 4 Soloists/Section Leaders.
- Rehearses on Sundays in the Parish Hall
- Sings weekly in worship services at 11:00 am.
- Twice a year, in December and March, the Senior Choir presents a major choral work with a professional orchestra.
- Ian Garvie, Director of Music, directs the Senior Choir.
- An un-auditioned choir of approximately 25 singers.
- Rehearses on Thursdays from 6:45-8:00 pm in the sanctuary.
- Sings twice monthly in worship services at 9:00 am.
Each year alumni members of former Youth and Children’s choirs who are home for the holidays, flock back to First Church to participate in the Christmas Eve pageant of lessons and carols and to present beautiful holiday pieces for the congregation in the Sanctuary. The number of alumni who come back to First Church to participate in the Alumni Choir, and the quality of their singing is evidence of the strong bonds developed with First Church through the Music and Youth programs.
Other Music at First Church
The First Church prides itself on being open to the formation of new singing groups and on showcasing musical talent from within and outside of our First Church family.
- The Linden Singers was formed by Alfa in 1995 to provide some variety for a worship service. This four-voice men’s a cappella group, now self-directed, performs blue-grass gospel, jubilee, and other styles and can be heard several times a year during services and other special events.
- First Church has a long-standing history of musical talent among its members and these talents are often featured during worship services. It is not unusual to have individual performances on the acoustic guitar, dulcimer, flute, recorder, English horn, saxophone, violin, marimba, piano, harpsichord, or small ensembles such as The First Church Gospel Band.
- The myriad talents of First Church members and friends are also demonstrated during the annual Youth / Children’s musical production, in which First Church musicians come together in a small “pit” orchestra to accompany the choristers.
Major Music Sundays
Twice a year major choral works are performed as a central component of the worship services: once in December and once in early Spring. These Sundays are always heavily attended and draw in not only members and friends but also others from the broader community in Belmont and beyond. For this year’s Major Music Sundays see the Music Events section of our website.
In addition to the many dances, benefit concerts and other fellowship events at which music always plays a central role, two special concerts are offered each year by the Music Committee. In January, First Church hosts an annual Piano Celebration Concert, showcasing talented performers, including many of First Church members and friends. Every June, a Chamber Music Concert is held to benefit the Pediatric AIDS Program at the Boston Medical Center. For upcoming concerts and music events see our Music Events page.
Even though the roles on stage in the annual musical are played by our young choristers, there are still many roles to play for adult members and friends. If you have an interest in theatre, sets, or just enjoy the energy of a musical, please let us know and we will find a role for you! For more information about the annual musical see our Annual Children’s Musical page. For volunteer opportunities contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Second Friday Coffeehouse
Although not under the auspices of the Music Committee, the Second Friday Coffeehouse has been bringing music and entertainment to First Church to benefit social action causes for years and is Boston’s first and oldest all benefit coffeehouse. For information see the Second Friday Coffeehouse pages.
The Music Committee supports the Music Program at First Church. If you would like to contact the Music Committee or volunteer for any of the Music Programs or Events, please contact email@example.com.