Pillar Program for Grades 1-6
Our program for elementary school children uses a “Pillar Model” . We have five thematic units or “pillars”. Pillars repeat every three years. Thus the children step through the same subject in expanding depth and complexity as they grow and mature. The pillars are: Unitarian Universalism, Our Judeo-Christian Heritage, World Religions, Social Justice, and Social Growth and Development. The first Sunday of every month, we have a combined lesson for Grades 1 through 6 and a children’s chapel.
Year 1 – Unitarian Universalist Identity & Our Judeo-Christian Heritage
- Unitarian Universalist Identity: Children explore the meaning of the seven principles of the UU faith, using stories and activities. Because Unitarian Universalism is a creedless faith and we respect and value the beliefs of others, children are encouraged to explore their developing beliefs and to begin to gain a sense of their place in the world.
- Our Judeo-Christian Heritage: Children explore stories from the Jewish and Christian scriptures, with a focus on the timeless human issues that these stories illuminate. Younger grades focus on the Old Testament Bible stories and older grades focus more on the life of Jesus. (This pillar focuses on the Bible; other aspects of the Jewish faith are more closely explored in World Religions).
Year 2 – World Religions & Social Action
- World Religions: Children learn about the basic practices and beliefs of many of the world religions: Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and Taoism. Students develop awareness and sensitivity to other cultures and religions as they shape their own spiritual paths.
- Social Justice: Children examine what it means to work for social justice by exploring social issues: Human Rights, Poverty, Environment, and Peace and Love.
Year 3 – Social Growth and Development
- Social Growth and Development: Children explore curriculum that highlights cooperation, community building, and self confidence.
In addition to the Pillar Program, 5th and 6th graders may enroll in the Our Whole Lives Lifespan Sexuality Education program designed for this age group.