The Worship Committee (WC) and Worship Assistants (WA) work closely with First Church professional staff to offer input on worship-related matters (both substantive and detailed), participate in worship services, and oversee lay-led services. Specific activities include:
- Exploring the meaning and elements of worship for our church.
- Discussing and assisting in developing potential themes for services; assisting in occasional services.
- Inviting members of the community to offer their Shared Journeys and or Committee Reflections as regular components of the worship services.
- Inviting members of the community, including children and families, to light the chalice during worship services.
- Overseeing all aspects of lay-led summer services: recruiting and guiding leaders, coordinating logistics and communications, arranging childcare, etc.
- Katharine Canfield (WA)
- Parrish Dobson (WA)
- Ariane Frank, chair (WC)
- Bruce Kozuma (WC)
- Eloise McGaw (WA)
- Lanier Smythe (WC)
- Edwin Taylor (WA)
- Richard Waring (WA)
- Rev. David Bryce, Senior Minister, non-voting member
- Ian Garvie, Music Director, non-voting member
Our Mission Statement
It is the mission of the Worship Committee to work with the professional staff and congregation to foster meaningful worship in the church community, in keeping with our Principles and Purposes, by:
- PROVIDING feedback to the professional staff and acting as a sounding board for the congregation on matters of our worship life.
- ACCEPTING responsibility for and evaluating the presentation of lay-led services.
- EXAMINING the form and content of services — at a detail/process level — to determine what works well and what could be improved upon.
- OPENING and sustaining dialogue with the congregation on matters of worship.
- TAKING risks and experimenting with new elements in the worship service and soliciting feedback.
- ENCOURAGING and facilitating the development of other types of worship gatherings.
Submitted to the Parish Board by the Worship Committee, March, 1998. Revised, September 2009
Friday, December 11th, 2009
The members of the Worship Committee agree to:
DEDICATE ourselves to facilitating meaningful worship at First Church.
RECOGNIZE and support the creative talents in ourselves and each other.
COLLABORATE and cooperate to fulfill our missions.
ATTEND monthly meetings, informing the group when we are unable to attend.
LISTEN to one another with an open mind and an open heart, avoiding interruptions and quick judgments.
PROVIDE honest feedback to each other and to members of our church.
BE open to new and different ways of worship.