It may seem awfully early to be saying or thinking about this, but with the launching of the annual budget drive by the Stewardship Team and the delivery of David’s annual stewardship sermon, it is important for me to remind the congregation that my service to you as Acting Director of Children’s Religious Education (DCRE) will come to an end when the church year ends in June. That is five months from now, but time flies when we’re having fun. And I have been having fun during my tenure at FCB.
There is a search committee already hard at work looking for a person to direct CRE who will continue to inspire and lead with the quality you have come to expect of this program. The DCRE Search Committee is headed up by Catherine Claypoole, and includes Eleanor Sugarman and Beth Westlund. Be sure get in contact with them to express your support for CRE.
During the worship service on January 31st, two members of the CRE Committee, Gerri Strickler and Karsten Kueppenbender, shared their reflections on why the CRE program is needed and what the program has meant to themselves and to their families. They included some thoughts from their own children along with their own thoughts.
Gerri came to FCB looking for community. She told me about how important it was for her, as a newcomer to Unitarian Universalism, to volunteer to teach in the classrooms, because she was able to learn about UUism herself alongside her daughter. Gerri also mentioned that as a single parent, connecting with CRE families enhanced her feeling of community, thus strengthening her commitment to being in this community of shared values.
Back in November, Karsten shared with me that his oldest son, a sixth grader, chose going to church on Sunday morning over going for a play-day at some friends. Although torn between competing interests, he went to church and was delighted he had made that choice to learn and grow in this community.
During the next few months, as you make your annual pledge to FCB and as the leadership determines the budget for FY2017, ask your self what this congregation means to you and why you need it. Then go further than that: Ask every day how it is with the children, all our children (Ginger, 2015 LREDA McLean Award winner). Now, what can you give of your time, talent and treasure, to make sure that how it is with all of the children in this congregation is overflowing with loving human-kindness and they learning and growing every day.
Special Activities of interest this winter:
- Parents and Caregivers as Sexuality Educators continues on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month through May 24th. This program is especially helpful for parents/caregivers of tweens and teens but we welcome anyone who wishes to participate. Offered by CRE. For more information, and to register for the class, use the following link: tinyurl.com/gpv273y.
- February 6: “All-Church Potluck and Game Night”, 5:30-8:30 p.m. Fellowship Event. Sign-up on bulletin board near church office.
- February 7 at 7 p.m.: Mandatory Parent Orientation for OWL 5-6. If you have registered or are thinking about registering your 5th or 6th grader for OWL, please mark your calendars with this very important date and contact Wendy Conroy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or need more information.
Children’s Religious Education Program Registration and Information:
If you haven’t registered your children for CRE, please do so ASAP using the registration link found on the Children’s Religious Education page of the FCB website (uubelmont.org/childrens-re/) which allows you to register children from birth through 12th grade. All children must be registered for CRE.
CRE Volunteer Opportunities for All at FCB
- Teach any of the CRE classes on Sunday mornings: tinyurl.com/teachCRE. You will need to have recent background check (done by FCB in the last 2 years) or submit a new one using this form: uubelmont.org/coriandsori/.
- Would your family like to lead the Chalice Lighting during the worship service one Sunday this year? CRE is coordinating this effort to involve families in this element of the worship service on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. Click to sign-up: tinyurlcom/chalicelighting. You will receive an e-mail reminder.
- Non-parent teacher-volunteers are needed to assist our Childcare Provider, Denise Azar, in the Nursery at 9 and 11 am each Sunday. Click here: tinyurl.com/sundaynursery. You will receive an e-mail reminder.
~ Charlotte Lehmann, Acting Director of Children’s Religious Education
Office hours: Tues-Weds, 10am-6pm. E-mail: email@example.com.