The CRE classes are wrapping up their exploration of Unitarian Universalism — the values, actions and people that exemplify the meaning of our 7 UU Principles – at the end of this month. You could check out the favorite principle of some of them or read the “footstep” and “wheel-chair” messages left by the 3rd and 4th graders on the path of their “Faithful Journey” over the past four months. Wander down the hall of the CRE Wing to appreciate these visual reminders of who we are as UUs.
The 7th grade Building Bridges class continues its chronological journey through our neighboring faith traditions. They will visit different types of Christian congregations and the Islamic Center in Wayland during the second half of the year.
Grades 1 through 6 classes will be starting the Judeo-Christian Heritage pillar on February 7th, with a visit from Moses, of Bible-fame. They will have one other set of time-traveling visitors from the Fertile Crescent and plenty of other interesting activities and lessons between February and June. Classes hear Bible stories and learn about ethical and theological questions raised in Judaism and Christianity. Judeo-Christian heritage is one of our six sources from which we embark on our search for truth and meaning. Stay tuned, but even better, sign-up to volunteer in our classes as a teacher. See below to sign up to teach.
Our “Chalice Children” pre-school and kindergarten classes recently have been learning about some time honored rituals and rites of passage: memorial services, marriages, child dedications, and other special worship services. They will continue to learn about what it means to be a Unitarian Universalist during the next two months.
Special Activities of interest this winter:
- January 26, 7-9 p.m. in the FCB Library: Parents and Caregivers as Sexuality Educators It continues on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month through May 24th. This program is especially helpful for parents/caregivers of tweens and teens but we welcome anyone who wishes to participate. Offered by CRE. FMI, and to register for the class, click here.
- January 31: “Children and Technology” program for parents and other interested adults, between services (10:15 – 11 a.m.); childcare provided. Facilitated by Diana Dill. Offered by Adult Programs.
- February 6: “All-Church Potluck and Game Night,” 5:30-8:30 p.m. Fellowship Event. Sign-up on bulletin board near church office.
Children’s Religious Education Program Registration and Information:
If you haven’t registered your children for CRE, please do so ASAP using the registration link found on the Children’s Religious Education page of the FCB website (www.uubelmont.org/childrens-re/) which allows you to register children from birth through 12thgrade. All children must be registered for CRE.
CRE Volunteer Opportunities for All at FCB
- Sign up to teach in any of the CRE classes on Sunday mornings. You will need to have recent background check (done by FCB in the last 2 years) or submit a new one using the form on-line: uubelmont.org/coriandsori/.
- Would your family like to lead the Chalice Lighting during the worship service one Sunday this year? CRE is coordinating this effort to involve families in this element of the worship service on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month. Click on this link to sign-up. You will receive an e-mail reminder.
- Non-parent teacher-volunteers are needed to assist our Childcare Provider, Denise Azar, in the Nursery at 9 and 11 am each Sunday. You can easily sign-up for this volunteer opportunity here. You will receive an e-mail reminder.
Are your kids interested in traditional English dancing?
CRE received notice of two opportunities to learn and participate in Morris dancing and other traditional English ritual dances at First Parish of Sudbury, one of our neighboring UU congregations. Hop Brook Morris is for 4th-8th graders interested in learning Morris and sword dancing basics; first meeting is Sunday, January 31st from 11:45 am – 1 pm at First Parish in Sudbury. Great Meadows Morris & Sword is a rapper sword and Morris dance performance team for teens, age 13-18 meeting Sunday evenings from 4:45-6:45 pm. FMI go to: www.gmms.org. Flyers are posted on the CRE bulletin board. Contact Tom Kruskal, email@example.com or 978-443-8940 to ask questions or register your child(ren).
~ Charlotte Lehmann, Acting Director of Children’s Religious Education
Office hours: Tues-Weds, 10am-6pm. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.