November 1: Bring-Your-Checkbook-to-Church Sunday!
Because of the late start of our church year, Coffeehouse Season Ticket sales are running behind the pace of the last couple of years and we are getting pretty nervous on behalf of our beneficiaries. So we’re going for a big push on November 1st to start getting caught up. We have sold 35 (BRAVO and THANKS, FRIENDS!) and our goal is to match or surpass last year’s record 62. So let’s go for it and see what we can do! Check or cash, at both Coffee Hours or by mail! Send a check for $99, memo line marked Coffeehouse, to First Church in Belmont, 404 Concord, Ave., PO Box 113, Belmont 02478.
Go, First Church!
Unitarian Universalist Service Committee Group Monthly Team Note
This month’s focus is on two items in the “Our Work” section of the website: uusc.org/focus-areas/environmental-justice
One article is about water for a Mumbai slum. This project of the Pukar Urban Youth Research Collective is funded with the Service Committee’s first Innovation Human Rights Fellowship grant. Then, scroll down further to view the amazing ten minute video created for UUSC’s 75th anniversary. This overview of efforts over time and geography is a powerful reminder of the good our denomination’s service organization can accomplish.
~ Alice Trexler for the UUSC Group of FCB
Will you be a host or a guest at one of this year’s Circle dinners?
Circle Dinners are informal dinners held in various church members’ homes. Often dinner is a potluck affair coordinated by the host. Please sign up at coffee hour to attend or host a dinner. You can enjoy an evening out while building more connections to your church community. Circle Dinners are sponsored by the Fellowship Committee. If you have questions, contact Nancy Greiner at email@example.com or at 857-222-1170.
The Caring Connection provides support to members of our community who need short-term help. Please let us know if you or someone you know would benefit from our support. Contact Laurie Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org or Janice at the Church, 617-484-1054, ext. 201.
Lay Pastoral Care Team
The Lay Pastoral Care Team works with and supports the senior minister in reaching out to members and friends of The First Church who are adjusting to change, loss, illness or death. We share in moments of celebration and happiness. We reach out to those who are unable to get out and who would like a visit. Please contact us through the Web site or the church office if we might be of help or comfort.
Why not support the Grow Clinic by celebrating an upcoming birthday, anniversary or holiday? Encourage your friends and family to make a donation to help children. Complimentary guidance provided. 617-414-7415 or email@example.com.
Remember to pick up a Grow Clinic shopping list next time you’re at church or bring a Special Request. There are collection baskets in the Lower Hall and the vestibule outside the Sanctuary. Many thanks! September and October is “Protein Power:”
- peanut butter
- canned tuna or chicken
- canned stews
- infant strained chicken/beef/turkey
Food: One of the Most Important Medicines
From the UU Urban Ministry — uuum.org
- Join us for the Installation of the Rev. Mary Margaret Earl as Senior Minister and Executive Director of the UUUM. Sunday, November 1st at 3 p.m. at First Church Roxbury. Reception to follow.
- Please join us for the 2015 Mendelsohn Lecture on Sunday, Nov. 8 at 3 p.m. Shay Stewart-Bouley, the first African American Executive Director of Community Change Inc., a Boston-based anti-racist organization and Debby Irving, the author of Waking Up White, will present “Tell Me the Truth: Exploring the Heart of Cross-Racial Conversations.”
- Calling all UU Teens! Join with the youth in the Roxbury Youth Program for “Environmental Justice in the City,” a year of learning, sharing, and justice making as we explore the intersections of environmental and racial injustice. Second Wednesdays: Dec. 9, Jan. 13, Feb. 10, March 9, April 13, May 11, 6:00-7:30 p.m., Dinner included.
We are hiring!
In addition to being a place to nurture the spirit, The First Church is an employer … and we currently have two positions to fill:
- Part-time Office Assistant: we’re seeking a detail-driven person who can help administer the congregational needs of our busy church. This could be a great fit for a stay-at-home parent with kids in school, or a college student, with excellent data-entry skills.
- Nursery Assistant: Assist with childcare in the nursery during two worship services each Sunday, from 8:55 – 10:15 a.m. & from 10:55 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Details of both positions, and how to apply, are online at uubelmont.org/jobs.