A Hootenanny/Jam Session, August 6
7:30 p.m. in the Library. Led by Jon Svetkey.
Have you ever wanted to sit around the porch with a bunch of friends singing and strumming songs that you (mostly!) know? Then we’ve got just the thing for you: a good old fashioned hootenanny! Bring your portable acoustic instrument (i.e., guitar, mandolin, banjo, harmonica, shaker, suitcase, jaw harp, spoons…), your voice and — most of all — your enthusiasm. All levels encouraged!
Happenings at the U.U. Urban Ministry, 10 Putnam Street, John Eliot Square, Roxbury
- Jazz Concert, Saturday August 11, 1-5 p.m., under the trees. Outstanding musicians (some from New York) honor the work of Dorchester composer Makanda Ken McIntyre. Fresh Food Generation truck, etc. (July concert was terrific!)
Look for an announcement of future tours in Boston:
- ACE (Alternatives for Community and Environment), a grassroots organization that builds the power of communities of color and low-income communities in Massachusetts to eradicate environmental racism and classism, create healthy, sustainable communities, and achieve environmental justice.
- Garden with the Roxbury Youth Program, Youth Against Mass Incarceration, and Boston Youth Advisory Council, Wednesday mornings this summer.
- Help assemble and distribute produce bags, Saturdays 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Volunteer at Renewal House shelter.
- Pick up food monthly at Greater Boston Food Bank.
- Act as building ambassador at UUUM.
- Can’t volunteer? Donate toward a campership for a child. (10 children @ $200 each)
Welcome Back Reception, September 10
The Fellowship Committee and the Parish Board invite you to reconnect with your friends after a long summer break, meet & greet staff, officers, and new church members, and socialize at this informal gathering!
- 7 – 8:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall
- Appetizers and light refreshments
- Bring a bottle of wine to share
- Childcare and entertainment for younger kids
Multigenerational Service on Sunday, September 13: Remember to bring back water
Our service on September13 will be a Multi-generational Water Ingathering. We will celebrate the opening of the church year with a ceremony in which we each pour a small amount of water into a common vessel. The water we bring represents a part of our summer that we are bringing into the new church year. Whether you go on an exotic journey or vacation in your backyard, bring a small amount of water to represent your summer’s spiritual journeys.
11th Annual Sandy Island Retreat, September 18-20
Please join us for the popular First Church Sandy Island Retreat. This is a wonderful opportunity to kick back, relax, and meet new and old friends after a long summer. Recreational opportunities for people of all interests and ages. Registration starting soon. Questions, contact email@example.com.
Belmont Alliance Concord River Boat Cruise & Lunch — Wednesday, September 16
The Alliance’s Concord River Boat Cruise and Lunch will take place on Wednesday, September 16. We will meet for car-pooling at 12:30 p.m. in the 1st Church parking lot and drive to the South Bridge Boat House, 496 Main St. (Route #62), Concord. The cruise (with lunch) departs at 1:30 p.m. Please contact our First Church Administrator, Janice Zazinski, (617-484-1054 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve your seat. Final reservation deadline is Thursday, September 10. More detailed information will be in the next newsletter. The First Church’s Belmont Unitarian Universalist Alliance (BUUA) group meets on the third Wednesday (Sep. to May) for lunch followed by a 1-hour program. Please join us and look for BUUA event information in future newsletters.
The 30th birthday celebration for the Second Friday Coffeehouse continues through this season! Don’t let the grass grow under your feet! Buy now!
First Church’s own and Boston’s original all-benefit Coffeehouse has turned 30, and we are completing an exciting year and a half of celebration! Join us by purchasing your Season Ticket now, so our beneficiaries can be included in the celebration and so you won’t miss any of the exciting shows. Tickets still only $99 for two people for nine shows — send your check for $99 made out to First Church in Belmont, memo line marked “Coffeehouse” to Janice at First Church in Belmont, 404 Concord Ave., P.O. Box 113, Belmont, MA 02478). Watch for more exciting details in the next newsletter and click here for the schedule! And have a great rest of the summer!
Have you ever thought that you might like to travel to Transylvania?
Save the date: Sunday September 27th after the 11:00 service, we will have an informational question-and-answer session about our planned trip for the summer of 2016. Watch for more details in September!