The First Church in Belmont, Unitarian Universalist, is seeking a part-time Assistant Music Director/Organist. This position reports to the Director of Music. First Church is a vibrant community of 400+ members that is committed to maintaining a music program that enhances and deepens the worship experience and provides opportunities for participation across the congregation.
- Organist – Play organ (3-manual Casavant pipe organ) for Sunday services. Occasionally accompany choir or soloists on piano as well as be available for extra services such as weddings and funerals.
- Assist with Senior Choir – Assist with and accompany Senior Choir in general and sectional rehearsals every Sunday morning and prepare for two major music events each year.
- Direct the Nova Choir – Direct the Nova Choir, selecting appropriate music, rehearsing, directing during select Sunday services.
- General Assistance with Choral Music Program – Assist as needed with Children’s, Youth and Adult Choirs, including accompanying and providing help with various tasks such as mailings, cataloging music, choir robes and folders, preparing seating plans, etc.
- Participate in and support annual Children’s/Youth Musical – Assist as needed at rehearsals, provide musical accompaniment, performance coaching, provide input into artistic design of production
Training and/or experience in choral conducting
- Excellent organ and piano skills, including ability to accompany a range of vocal abilities
- Enthusiasm for working with musical groups of various age levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Interest in collaborating with other ministries within the church
This is a part-time position from September through mid-June, averaging 15 hours per week. Regular schedule is: Sundays, 8:15am-12:30pm (Sunday services), Mondays, 6:30pm-8:30pm (choir rehearsals), and Thursdays, 6:30pm-8:30pm (choir rehearsals). Additional hours required Christmas Eve, prior to fall and spring major music services, and during the fall musical (mid-September through mid-November).
$14,000-$16,000 per year, commensurate with experience
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com