Director, Children’s Religious Education
First Church in Belmont, Unitarian Universalist
First Church in Belmont, Unitarian Universalist, (FCB) is a Welcoming Congregation located 10 miles west of Boston. We are a dynamic and diverse congregation with over 400 members and friends and 90 children participating weekly in our children’s religious education program (CRE). FCB services and CRE classes run September through mid-June each year; August is devoted to planning. Our new Director for CRE (DRE) position will begin August 1, 2014 in preparation for the 2014-15 year.
Job Purpose: To enthusiastically direct a program of pre-K through 8th grade religious education at FCB expressing Unitarian Universalist principles and values through building, positive relationships with members and staff, providing innovative and creative leadership, and maintaining a strong curriculum.
Set goals for children’s religious education (pre-K through grade 8) and plan curriculum;
- As part of that process, to assess over the 2014-2015 church year the current CRE program, working with the CRE Committee and the Parish Board to make recommendations about its strengths and sustainability;
- Provide leadership to and work collaboratively with CRE Committee around goal setting, religious growth philosophy development, and learning across the age span;
- Recruit, supervise, train and support parent and other adult volunteers for Sunday morning CRE classes;
- Advocate for and publicize CRE program and events;
- Lead “Story for All Ages” during Sunday morning services;
- Write column for The First Church newsletter once every month;
- With Minister and staff colleagues, plan and assist in conducting multigenerational services and special events relating to CRE;
- Plan and implement children’s monthly worship services;
- In collaboration with Youth Programs Director, develop opportunities for youth participation in CRE program;
- Meet with the Senior Minister, staff, and CRE Committee on a regular basis;
- Develop an annual budget for CRE program and report at regular intervals on budget status; maintain CRE records and files;
- Attend conferences and workshops relating to children’s religious education;
- Regularly evaluate FCB’s CRE program with CRE Committee and adult volunteers;
- Recruit, supervise, train and support Religious Education assistant(s);
- Develop and oversee staff and program for nursery care; and
- Maintain equipment and supplies.
- Degree or comparable experience in education or child development with at least 5 years experience in a similar position.
- A well-developed philosophy of Unitarian Universalist religious education; commitment to diversity in religion and religious education.
- Training and experience in curriculum development and implementation, particularly in a UU setting and for different learning styles.
- Demonstrated interest in religious education activities and other programs for children, youth and adults.
- Ability to build strong relationships with members of a large, diverse congregation and staff, work well with others and advocate for CRE program, needs and plans.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to listen and communicate effectively with staff, church leadership, children and their families as well as CRE volunteers.
- Established administrative and organizational skills; management experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to build and leverage networks through social media and adopt technologies to approve efficiency in the workplace.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and know when and to whom to
- A sense of humor and ability to be flexible.
This is a 30 hours/week, 12-month position including one month of paid vacation. RE classes are held from early September through mid-June. The incumbent will be expected to use vacation time between mid-June and mid-August and to use the remainder of the summer planning for the upcoming church year. Sundays are an expected part of the DRE’s work hours. Professional meetings and trainings, which may include some weekends, may be attended as appropriate and approved.
The DRE reports to the Senior Minister.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include $1000 professional development funds.
Note: In accordance with FCB policy, First Church of Belmont members are not eligible for this position.
To apply, please send a letter of interest and resume to:
Children’s DRE Search Committee
c/o Susan Street
First Church in Belmont, UU
404 Concord Avenue
Belmont, MA 02478
FCB is an equal opportunity employer, building strength through diversity.