The First Church In Belmont, Unitarian Universalist is seeking applicants to fill a newly established staff position of Assistant Music Director.
The position is part-time (see schedule below) and begins in September 2010. The Assistant Music Director will report directly to the Minister of Music.
Interested applicants should submit a completed First Church Employment Application and resume, preferably via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to First Church In Belmont, 404 Concord Ave, Belmont MA 02478.
- Above average keyboard ability, including accompanying skills
- Training and/or experience in choral conducting
- Enthusiasm for working with musical groups of various age levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Interest in collaborating with other ministries within the church
- Interest in and enthusiasm for liberal religion and UU principles
Responsibilities will include:
- Assistance with Senior Choir: Being prepared to assist and sing with the Senior Choir, an auditioned choir of 40 voices with 4 paid Soloists/Section Leaders, in general and sectional rehearsals every Sunday morning, as well as four extra rehearsals for Music Services twice yearly, in preparation for major choral works with professional chamber orchestra. These works are presented during regular Sunday morning Worship Services-one in December, and another in the Spring.
- Directing the Nova Choir: One of the main responsibilities of the Assistant Music Director is that of being the Director of the Nova Choir, an un-auditioned group of about 12-15 singers: choosing music; rehearsing Thursday nights (6:45-8:00pm); and directing their singing twice a month at the 9:00am Sunday services. Must be able to play the piano and rehearse parts individually and in ensemble. (Note: On Sundays, the Nova Choir is often accompanied by the Minister of Music/Organist).
- General Assistance with Choirs: including Children’s/Youth and Adult Choirs, as needed, for services and rehearsals, providing help with various tasks relating to the Choral Music Program, such as mailings, cataloging music, choir robes and folders, preparing seating plans, etc.
- Support the Minister of Music: as an Assistant Director for the Children’s / Youth musical in the Fall each year. This is a signature church community event and involves working with children aged 5-16 in a fully staged, choreographed, and costumed production. For the eight-week production period, the Assistant Music Director is expected to participate in most of the rehearsals (see schedule below). Duties include: accompaniment, performance coaching, sectional rehearsals of both music and dialog, as well as some general input into the artistic design of the production.
REGULAR WEEKLY SCHEDULE: The church operates from mid-September through mid-June, closing for Summer vacation. The regular weekly schedule for the Assistant Music Director during these months is:
- 9:30 – 12:30 – Sr. Choir rehearsals and 11:00 service, or…
- 8:15 – 12:30 – for 2 Sundays per month when Nova Choir is scheduled to sing at 9:00 service
- MONDAYS: 7:00 – 9:00pm – Chancel (grades 5-6) & Youth (Teens) Choir rehearsal
- THURSDAYS: 6:30 – 8:00pm – Nova Choir rehearsal
SPECIAL EVENT SCHEDULE: In addition to the regular weekly schedule, additional time is required in preparation and execution of the following special events:
- FALL MUSICAL: 8 weeks of rehearsals starting mid-September and leading up to 4 performances: Nov 11th 5:30; Nov 12th & 13th 7:30; Nov 14th 3:00. During this 8 week period the typical rehearsal schedule is:
- SUNDAYS: 3:30 – 6:30
- MONDAYS: 7:00 – 9:00
- THURSDAYS: 3:30 – 6:30
- CHRISTMAS EVE: 1:30pm – 7:30pm (3 Services)
- EXTRA ADULT REHEARSALS for SENIOR CHOIR MAJOR MUSIC SERVICES:
- 2 Thursday nights (7:00-9:30pm) and 2 Saturday mornings (9:30 am-12:00 noon) just prior to December Music Service (Dec 12, 2010) and the Palm Sunday Music Service (April 17, 2011)
Compensation: $10,000 -$15,000 per year – Commensurate with experience (paid monthly)